Thursday, December 30, 2010

Uncharted

Well I am pleased to inform you that this will be the last post of 2010. Lately I've been reflecting on the past year and recalling certain moments that could be defined as "life-changers", I won't go into those but we all have them and I believe there is some importance in remembering those moments. What I am wanting to talk to myself about today is how I can have more of those "life-changers" and I'm about to get real honest here, so if I happen to offend the 3 people that read this, I apologize...it's a life journey (hence the title of this blog) and I'm trying to pave my own path here.

I'm not really sure how to begin but there are a lot of people in my life right now that I don't agree with. I think they're making mistakes, worrying their lives away or just are plain old in a slump and it drives me crazy! I can talk all day about what I think these people should do differently but the more I've been thinking about it, the more I am realizing that everyone has their own path. I have been through hell and back a couple times and have come to realize that the people I thought were my friends, had no idea what was even going on in my life and the people that I thought were acquaintances were really the best friends I could have asked for. I've made the realization that although you have a "mom" and "dad" that they are also people going through their own battles and making their own choices. I've learned that you really can't trust everyone, even the people that are closest to you sometimes. I've come to the conclusion that the friends you've had for the longest amount of time aren't always your strongest friendships and the most important thing I've come to know is that we MUST become uncomfortable to grow. I'm going to repeat it again because I think it is so important: WE MUST BECOME UNCOMFORTABLE TO GROW.

So now I'm down to maybe 1 person who reads this and you're probably only half way paying attention at this point because I just kicked you where it hurts. I know it hurts me to think that way sometimes but I am also the most thankful for the moments where I pushed myself off the cliff, learned to enjoy the feeling of falling, hit the side a couple times and ended up flat on my face with a couple broken bones but was in a brand new valley that took me to a better place in my life and then repeated the action. Sometimes we don't always know how far the fall will be, sometimes we just need to start with jumping off baby steps to scare ourselves a little bit and then realize that we're okay after all. Either way, my challenge to everybody in their lives this next year is to walk up to the side of your cliff, whether that is taking a trip to someplace you've always wanted to go, or telling a person something you've always wanted to tell them, or branching out and making new friends, or moving away and pursuing your dreams but by all means, throw yourself off the edge. I promise it is the best thing you could ever do for yourself and if you can't think of anything that scares you then I encourage you to climb out from the rock you are living under and do something, take a risk, encourage others to take risks in their lives, come alive again, break out from your everyday routine and LIVE for heaven's sake, start somewhere!



Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9


Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -John Eldredge 




The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live. -Leo Buscaglia


Do one thing every day that scares you. 
-Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment